Well, it's later in the evening now, and I'm stuck at home working while the Super Bowl plays in the background, but I still have to say it was a good weekend. Yesterday evening was spent in Central Wisconsin at Robin and Andy's open house. It was a cool little gathering, a fairly low-key affair with a good group of people and plenty of interesting conversation. Well, it wasn't entirely low-key: Highlights of a brief trip to a local Marshfield bar called Elixir included a shot girl who thought nothing of pulling down her top or pants for a $10 tip, a number of examples of bad Central-Wisconsin farmer behavior (and hair), and an unexpected five-minute set of dancing from Andy that drew the rapt attention of almost everyone within 20 feet of the dance floor.
But there's not much else to say about that.
Aside from anything that happened at the party, I have to comment that Robin and Andy have a very comfortable apartment. (Incidentally, this is the same apartment I reportedly referred to as "suburban" when I visited Marshfield last April.) I'm not sure what Andy's level of involvement was, but I know Robin has a pretty good design sense, and it definitely showed.
~ ~ ~
You know, I think I just saw Janet Jackson's right boobie on national television.
> Design Notes
Well, I figured it was time for a new design. The old blue was still OK, but it was pushing two years in age and I was beginning to feel constrained by it.
Besides, color is overrated anyway.
I'm still working on some design issues—most aesthetic rather than technical—so you may see changes as the month progresses. Also, internal pages will remain the same while I hash out the look and feel up front. Regardless, comments and suggestions are both welcome and appreciated. Please email them to me at mark (at) nonlocality (dot) com.
~ ~ ~
I had a few core goals for the new design:
- Keep it simple.
- Reduce the width of the primary text area for better readability.
- Allow segmentation of content (daily sections for links, movie reviews, etc.).
- Increase design flexibility for special entries and sections.
So far the results are somewhat mixed. Everything turned out much more complicated than expected, and I think the end result is way too cluttered. The text is more readable, but in retrospect black-on-white works better in print than on a computer screen. On the bright side, the design is more flexible, but a negative side-effect of that is regular updates will take more work than they used to. (No, I haven't automated with Movable Type or anything of the sort yet, and I don't plan to.) The content segmentation shouldn't be that difficult, but it'll be interesting to see how often I use that flexibility.
Finally, a couple of compatibility notes: Parts of the design may not display properly in Safari on the Mac and Konqueror on Linux. While my browser-compatibility knowledge is somewhat rusty, it's my understanding that the similar problems between those two browsers stems from a positioning bug in their shared codebase. Apple seems to be aware of the issue, and I'm not expecting many visitors using Konqueror, so for now I'm not going to try to find a workaround.
~ ~ ~
There may be a longer entry about the design at some point. I've put a lot of thought into this layout, although I'm not sure I'm getting a full return on the investment.
# # #